Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Buzz! New Music/Videos

So today, I come across videos for two songs that I believe will slowly but surely change the face of hip hop. I don't think that it is a coincidence that both artists come out of Chicago and I further don't think it is a coincidence that they are both affiliated with one another.

First off the cuff is Mr. West, Mr. West! He's been kind of quiet lately. He surprised fans with his decision to perform "Love Lockdown" at the VMA's even before the song got radio play. I liked it then, I love it now. The video is a bit awkward, but then it does fit the mood and the lyrics of the song. Check it out.



But another pleasant surprise was "Universal Mind Control," by Common. Coming off probably one of the best years he has ever had in both music and film, not to mention cuffing Serena Williams as his girlfriend. Common, drops this Pharrell-produced futuristic-yet-old-school inspired hip hop track that you immediately want to shake your groove thang to. It's different, yet somehow familiar. I love it, it proves why these two are trendsetters in hip hop.



These are my two vids for the day, but with a few eagerly anticipated records coming out this winter, I am sure there will be much more hot music in '08!

No comments: