Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hard Candy = GOOD MUSIC!



So, I bought this album off of my favorite download site, MP3Fiesta.com. I downloaded it to my comp and then to my Itunes, and had it in my Ipod for about two days before I gave it a real listen.

Then on the bus Friday, I decided to listen to it on the way home. I was bobbing my head and found myself singing along several times. I have to say this album has pleasantly surprised me. I know that Madonna is the queen of reinvention, but she hit this one out of the park. I mean freakin slam-dunked it.

The entire album features platinum production from Timbaland and The Neptunes, with the Neptunes completely outshining on each of their tracks. Madonna returned to her R&B/dance hits that initially made her successful. This album is timeless, there is no way anyone from a hip-hop head to a punk rocker couldn't listen to this and find at least half of the tracks worthy of being in their MP3.

I won't give a complete album review, but I would be remissed if I didn't at least mention the standout tracks. I will admit that when I first heard "4 Minutes" I didn't like it, because we have been almost force-fed music from the Timbaland/Timberlake team for the past year-and-a-half. But, thank goodness on HC, there are only two tracks that heavily feature the Timbs with "4 Minutes" being one of them.

Heartbeat - a Neptunes track, with heavy beats has the synth imogulation you hear on Usher's "Love in This Club," however, the overall melody of the song gives it this 80's feel that is so catchy, you will definitely be singing this in the shower.

She's Not Me - another Neptunes track is incredibly edgy, sexy and an ode to a man who may have moved on, but Madge reminds him repeatedly that the new chick is not her. This is going to be a popular track if she decides to release it. Guitar riffs and handclaps are very reminiscent of Nile Rogers of Chic.

Incredible - wow, another Neptunes track...this is a true pop dance cut, but it has flashes of this futuristic disco sound to it. There is a break down in the song that will have you booty shaking if you weren't already.

Beat Goes On - staying with the Neptunes, this is quite possibly the best track on the whole cd. Featuring Kan the Lous Vuitton Don, it is very urban. The black radio stations will most definitely be rocking this one. This is one of those cool tracks you want to play in the car.

Spanish Lesson - is a funky spanish-influenced track where Madonna comes in and out saying things in Spanish and then translating in English. Whatever, the beat is so hot and SEXY, you almost don't even hear what she's saying. I can't wait to hear this in the club! Oh, and if you were wondering, yep, this one is the Neptunes too.

So cop it if you love good music. Whether you dig Madonna or not, you can't lose with this one. Hard Candy is the business!

No comments: