Monday, May 13, 2013

Best Man Holiday

It almost feels surreal, but The Best Man really did come out 13 years ago! My, how time flies. I can remember sitting in a crowded theater watching what I would deem as the last great black movie I've seen in the theaters. Forgive me, but I do not count Tyler Perry. While, I admit to enjoying both Why Did I Get Married and The Family That Preys, I wouldn't dub them "great films".

So, after 13 years, we finally get a sequel.




Three Things I noticed from this teaser trailer:

1) MURCH AND CANDY GOT MARRIED

In the original movie, we all laughed as Murch allowed Quentin to fill him with whiskey shots as Candy sashayed out and gave him the lap dance of his life. While they made a connection, and she even accompanied him to the wedding, we don't know what happens after that. We are only left to assume, they dated, maybe tried to make it work. In the teaser, we see them getting married. Now later on, we see a shot of Candy in a much shorter hairstyle by herself. But, thus far, every scene, Murch looks happy. Although, that could mean, now happily single. But, somehow I get the feeling those two will make it.

2) LANCE AND MIA MAY NOT BE TOGETHER

These two were the main subjects in the first film. After all, they did get married (kicking and screaming), but they did it. Yet, in the teaser, we never even see these two together. Lance did get a new NFL contract in the original, and as we all now know, it is hard to stay happily married, when you are a professional athlete. We also know that Lance had committment issues. If he had them then, I can imagine what they faced later. Either way, their storyline will be very interesting in this sequel. Did he ever forgive her for her tryst with Harper? Will she continue to forgive his indiscretions?

3) JORDAN WENT WITH THE SWIRL

Interracial dating stays on my radar these days. Lately, it seems to always be in regards to black women dating outside of their race. Whether it is black women with white men, Asian men or some other ethnicity. Clearly, in 2013, it is no longer trendy for black women to still hold out for the brothas. So, I was pleasantly surprised to see them write a white male lead for Jordan, as Harper teases: "Ooh, I'm telling mama, you got a white boy." Interesting that they would put someone like her, driven and successful in an interracial relationship.

So far, I like what I see. Hopefully this will start a new trend of great black movies again. Instead of this slave theme that Hollywood has taken to. Either way, November can't get here fast enough for me.

No comments: