Saturday, October 3, 2009

Self Destruction!

"Took a brother's life with a knife as his wife
Cried cause he died a trifling death
When he left his very last breath
Was I slept so watch your step
Back in the sixties our brothers and sisters were hanged
How could you gang-bang?
I never ever ran from the Ku Klux Klan
and I shouldn't have to run from a black man
cause that's
Self-Destruction, ya headed for Self-Destruction"



So here we are a week after a 16 year-old Chicago teen was caught on film being beaten to death by his peers, and yet there is more news of more violence. Two days ago a teen was found beaten badly in Edgewater, a north side neighborhood. And this evening, news flooded Twitter that Kandi Burruss from the Real Housewives of Atlanta, her fiance who was shown on the show, AJ was beaten and murdered in a club in Atlanta called Bodytap.

What the hell is going on?

Why are black people determined to kill each other off one by one?

Where is all of this anger coming from?

Personally, I couldn't watch the entire video of the Fenger High School teen, Derrion Albert because he died on there. I was personally offended that mainstream media thought it was okay to keep playing the video every hour on the hour. Then it hit me, this sensationalism of violence, be it real or fake, makes a lot of young blacks think that violence makes you a moviestar! Well guess what, this is NOT a movie! This is real life, real families, real emotions and real losses! There is absolutely no reason for a bunch of high school kids to beat anyone to death. Truthfully, there is no reason for an adult to do that either. AJ, as we all learned from the show has six kids! Now all of these kids have to live without a father due to senseless violence.

I live a very meager life. I go out from time to time, but I don't make it my business to spend every week/weekend in the clubs. I kicked it hard in my early 20's and got bored with that life very quickly. Yet, I know parents who go out more than I do. I always find that fascinating. I just don't find that life appealing. While I don't consider myself a homebody, my interests aren't necessarily in the streets. I would rather go to the movies, a museum, a wine tasting, bowling, a comedy club, etc. Crowded clubs with that 18+ crowd is almost always a recipe for disaster. Especially today when these youth seem to have absolutely no regard for human life. So here Kandi's fiance' is in a club, gets into an altercation and never lives to talk about it. I just don't understand the logistics of that. I don't understand why those kids were fighting with boards and rails by Fenger. I had too many things to do in high school. Shouldn't they? A few years back, one fateful night I chose not to go out and before dawn several people died after being trampled in a club called E2.

Life is too short to spend it angry, walking around carrying evil within us. God didn't allow us to walk the earth only to end someone's life senselessly or to do nothing with our own lives. We all have a purpose, and I just believe that purpose is not centered around violence! I pray for the families and friends of the victims, and I really pray that people learn to let some things go - it's just not that serious!

No comments: