Thursday, October 15, 2009

Up, Up and Away in My Beautiful, My Beautiful Balloon!


So today, I am at lunch and I get several tweets talking about a six year-old boy in Colorado swept up in a homemade hot air balloon. I thought it was a joke. Then I saw the coverage. Literally on every station that calls itself cable news: CNN, FOXNews, MSNBC, etc., this story was running and the footage was being shown. Then more information came out.



The Heene family is an eccentric family that lives in Fort Collins, Colorado. The father is an amateur scientist and apparently the family is known to study extra terrestrial life, UFO's and chase harsh storms. They were featured on the show Wife Swap, and were dubbed as the alien family. Both times they were on the show, the new wives coming in mentioned the behavior of the children. There are three boys in the Henne family.

Well the Heene in question was named, Falcon, which spurned tons of jokes on Twitter. Cameras frantically followed this balloon as it sailed for two hours past their home in Fort Collins. When it landed in a field, authorities reported that no boy was found inside. So then the search on the ground went into full-fledged operation. Cameras showed police and what appeared to be FBI vehicles driving through the field near the home and where the balloon landed.

Not too long after that, the boy is found hiding in a box in the family's garage!

*****Moment of silence******

I would have gotten whooped from sun up til sun down. My family members would have taken turns. I would have gotten whooped until they were physically tired. I would have been grounded until I graduated from High School. I can't help but wonder the fate of little Falcon.

This is a parental fail. Kids get into everything. Why would anyone have a homemade hot air balloon. That's like when I wondered how the Columbine moms didn't know their sons were masterminding execution of their peers, and harboring sawed off shotguns in their rooms.

I am all for science and education in the home. But this just reeks of stupidity! And it further supports the notion that cable news isn't really news, just informed gossip.

No comments: