Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Little Insight on Race from Paul Mooney!

Piggybacking off of this whole Obama-Wright thing, I can't help but think about generational differences between black people. My grandparents did not like white people at all, and I always thought this was harsh. But I didn't pick cotton or share-crop. I was not a product of the pre-civil-rights south. I came across this video of Paul Mooney talking about race and the N-word some time ago, then I didn't get it. Funny how much of a difference a few more years in corporate America makes.

I can't even watch this video now without laughing and nodding. But more than anything, it is a searing realization of how different blacks and whites view America. Our truth is soooo different, it seems harsh, but that doesn't make it untrue.



You have to admit, he makes some good points! Although now, he doesn't say the N-word anymore!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't really start feeling what he was saying until about 5:30 into the video. Before that it was just blah blah blah.

M.C. said...

Yeah, I agree. At first I didn't know where he was going with it, but boy did he step on some toes when he started talking about that family tree...it's a sore subject with both blacks and whites, but you can't deny the truth.