Friday, August 7, 2009

Good Hair/Bad Hair!




The trailer for Chris Rock's new film/documentary entitled: "Good Hair" hit the Internet. Just about every black blog picked it up. I checked it out and I have to say, it appears he has put a comedic twist on a very touchy subject for African-Americans, especially sistas!

Since I can remember, I have heard the terms, "good hair" and "bad hair". It is no secret in American society, that most black folks feel as though they have "bad hair." Good hair was always seen as being hair that belonged to a mixed race person. Someone with parents of two races, or at least someone who had "good hair."

Good hair is also defined as being manageable, soft, silky, straight without chemicals, wavy without chemicals, able to be wet and dry naturally without drawing up. Unfortunately, black girls learn at a very young age this whole concept and I truly believe become imprisoned by this. Hair holds us back. A lot of black women don't workout, because we're afraid we will sweat our hair out and God forbid, walk around nappy! I've always wondered about this, and more importantly why European hair is automatically the desired look.

While I choose not to wear weaves/extensions/wigs or any of the other "not naturally my hair" products, I do have a perm. I work in corporate America, so it was the right thing to do, right? Honestly, it does make my hair more manageable and easy to maintain. But I have considered going "au natural" and even tried it once, but my hair started fighting back after about two months. For now, we'll just say that idea has been postponed.

Personally, I feel like any woman, should wear her hair (even if she bought it) anyway that makes her feel beautiful. However, one thing that struck me in the clip, that I have never encountered, is the idea that men can't touch our hair! I have had guys play in my hair before, and truthfully I enjoyed it. I hope black women go out and see this film, and realize that this whole HAIR thing is residual Willie Lynchism. Yes, I know, that sounds like a militant rant, but it IS true! We need to be free of the limitations of hair, but this is about more than just hair. This is about self-love. Clearly, some of us need more of it, then this whole HAIR issue, won't be an issue at all.

2 comments:

Aron Ranen said...

Please take a moment to check out my documentary film BLACK HAIR

It is free at youtube. 6 parts including an update from London, England.

It explores the Korean Take-over of the Black Beauty Supply and Hair biz..

Kinda like Madame C.J. Walker in Reverse....a tragic comedy.

I am not a hater, I am a motivator.

Plus I am a White guy who stumbled upon this, and felt it was so wrong I had to make a film about it.

Can it be taken back?

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

M.C. said...

I will definitely check it out. Thanks for checking out the blog!